Oh, capricious Sleep! I beseech of you, close
My leaden eyes; soothe the ache that blossoms deep in bone.
Allow me to take succor from moonlight's shadows
And escape the persistent glow of the wireless telephone.
If you do not come, Sleep, then the sun must soon
Shine its dispassionate light on my sad ordeal
That yet continues. Oh glorious sun! Such afternoon!
Sunlight's glamour dazzles and mirages seem more real
Oh Sleep, I beg of you: flip the switch; kill the engine;
The city's angles shimmer now, mocking Euclid.
Save me from these monsters, Sleep, each hour they strengthen
Hush the cacophony, Sleep. Kiss me until the day is muted.
Exhaustion weighs heavy. I languish in the dark hours,
Twisting sheets and limbs into a plea and then a shrine
Closing eyes that open once more. I breathe, I stretch; somehow
Sleep eludes me. Sleep, I compel you! With a novel alkaline!
***
Chemistry is what you get when you cross philosophy with alchemy.
No comments:
Post a Comment