Friday, October 12, 2012

Day & night 2


II.

Z:
[yawn]

Me:
How’d you sleep, little one?

Z:
Could you make it a little wider in here, please?

Me:
Workin’ on it. I think the way you keep pushing on the walls helps a lot.

Z:
Okay! This is fun!

Me:
heh…ow.
So hey, tell me about the night.

Z:
Well, my sleep cycle is like 90 minutes. There wasn’t much to it.

Me:
No, I mean the night in the jungle, in Rupania.

Z:
Rupania…that sounds familiar…

Me:
The place you came from, right?

Z:
Oh right! I was telling you about the young boys and girls.
The first day…the beasts come…

Me:
Yes, yes, and what about the night?

Z:
Well, it’s cold.
The young one would have brought something to wrap up in,
and something to eat,
but where to settle down for the night?
Under a tree, which could house who-knows-what?
Or out in a clearing, where the wind blows
and grassbeasts stalk all night?

Me:
What’s a grassbeast?

Z:
A BEAST that lives in the GRASS.

Me:
Right. Silly me.

Z:
So he finds a perfectly sheltered spot. A soft pile of discarded leaves, swept by the wind into a cove sheltered by boulders. It’s warmer there, protected, and almost cozy.

Me:
It’s a trap, isn’t it? It’s too good. He’s not supposed to lie down there?

Z:
No, it’s just a really nice place to sleep. Geez.

Me:
What happens if he lies down in it?

Z:
Sleep, blessed, instant, and deep.

Me:
And if he doesn’t?

Z:
You mean if he’s all suspicious like you are? Well, then he’ll be cold and fearful all night. That would be too bad.

Me:
I guess so. Well, then, what happens the next morning?

Z: 
In the morning, it will rain.

Me:
Oh dear.

Z:
It’s not that bad. Just water. It’s not even that cold during the day. But some people give up, after a whole day of rain, and come out again.

Me:
What happens to them?

Z:
Well, nothing. They can try again next year. Some of them believe that the weather will be better later.

Me:
Is it?

Z:
[snorts]

Me:
So the ones who stay—how do they do it?

Z:
They just don’t mind the rain that much. Mostly they keep walking, amusing themselves by seeking shelter. Some meditate. Some take off their clothes so they don’t have to deal with wet cloth on their skin. Some few were prepared enough to bring a rain poncho. If they happen to stumble across the lake, they can go for a swim, try to catch some fish to supplement their provisions. A few of them, usually the ones who didn’t sleep well, are miserable but stick it out anyway because they’re determined. But they all find the cave at the end of the day.

Me:
Oh, a place to hide from the rain!

Z:
Yes. The only dry place for miles. But they’re not the only ones who want to sleep there.

Me:
Oh, it’s occupied?

Z:
A good cave is rarely vacant, especially in today’s rental market.

Me:
I see.

Z:
I’m sleepy. Take a walk now, please, so I can get a good nap in.

Me:
But I want to know what happens with the cave!

Z:
I’ll tell you after…I…hmm…. [snore]

Me:
[sigh]

No comments:

Post a Comment