Monday, October 8, 2012

zephyrstory1

Channing challenged me to give her a story from Zomacs. I had had that dream, after all, the night I found out I was pregnant, that he was already born and he was a blonde boy and his name was Zephyr and he was more of a visiting spirit than my child. The dream was fairly solemn--I was a little worried that I wasn't doing the parenting thing quite right, and he reassured me (in a high, lilting ancient Mayan dialect) that I would be sufficient. All the time it was clear that he had things under control and I was mostly catching up. Anyway so I told her about that dream a while ago, and she recently requested this:

"In the spirit of the words, I'm hoping you'll be receptive to a writing piece topic request, because I'd love it if you wrote a story. A short, very short, story. More like a poem. A story poem.  Quick, in the next couple/few weeks, pretty please to write a story-poem that Zomacs might bring from his dream-world perspective.  You said Mayan, I believe, but certainly mystical... some kind of myth-esque topic like a creation story, or how the leopard got his spots kind of story, or his story.  Just ask him, and I bet he'll volunteer one."

So...I been askin', every night since she sent this request, and coming up with nothing. And I realized that was partly because I was asking the Zephyr from my memory of the dream, that grave, remote being, but the Zomacs I know today who squirms around in my belly all the time has a very different aspect. He's the Zomacs of Earth, not the spirit realm; he's mostly all human by now, and though he's got plenty of ethereal in him still I'm sure, he's a lot less, well, somber. He's more...wiggly. and pokey. So he has different things to say now than he would have seven months ago.

Anyway, so I asked *that* Zomacs tonight, and he gave me a teaser. I think he has a bunch more to say but I'm too tired to transcribe it tonight so here's the intro, anyway, and I hope he's still talking to me tomorrow for the rest.



Wandering along the shore
of Ego, Id, and me,
looking for a story
in that vast and daunting sea

I asked the wind
and the wind answered me
tickle, tickle, tickle, poke
answered the wind me

Boreas tried to bluff me
Notus made me faint
Eurus made me hungry
but Zephyr from the west—

went tickle, tickle, tickle, poke
I’ll tell you a story.

He said
I ain’t yours to handle
he said
follow me
he said
I have so much to show you
once I’ve gotten free.

No comments:

Post a Comment