Monday, March 7, 2016

Chapter nine

This one may not be a whole chapter in its own right, in the end. I feel like I've said pretty much all I have to say on the topic in this paragraph--it's pretty straightforward. But there are probably some interesting stories to tell from the last six years that intersect with these examples of sharing, so maybe?

Pooled Resources

            Lest the preceding chapter has scared you away from ever thinking this is a good idea, let’s pause a moment and review the sheer, numerical, logistical benefits of this situation, beyond just the savings in rent. Ten people living together create a lot of mess, it’s true. But the cost of a regular housekeeping service, split ten ways, is suddenly vastly more affordable than it would have been in a single-family scenario. None of us have cleaned a toilet in possibly years. I don’t know about the rest, but that’s a chore I do not miss. Shared food makes groceries super cheap—and nothing ever goes to waste in the fridge. Darn, I need an allen wrench of a particular size—oh look, my housemate moved in with a comprehensive set that I can borrow! My car is in the shop but I need to get to work—oh good, my housemate who works from home will let me borrow hers. The kid is sleeping, and my husband and I haven’t had a date in weeks—hand the monitor to a housemate and slip out on a long, romantic walk, secure in the knowledge that should he wake up, he will be reassured by one of several adults that he knows and trusts. And most compelling of all—I cook once a week. I am served a home-cooked meal every other night. This benefit alone is worth its weight in gold (and saves about that much in restaurant and takeout bills.) But please don’t think that it’s all about money, either; in the act of dining together nightly, we affirm social bonds and begin to relate to each other as family. We are building sturdy and supportive community as we break bread together; we aren’t one big family, exactly, but we are always there for each other.

1 comment:

  1. I think that the stories are a hugely compelling facet of your narrative. You have such a deft touch for characterization in your storytelling that it really adds to the work (imtao). It really makes the details come alive!

    I had the thought that you'd be able to share a live-in nurse or visiting service when you get old, too...

    ReplyDelete