Friday, February 19, 2016

Uncannyda

Ok, I'm watching myself getting spotty about posting--I'm still here, though, and I love reading/seeing what you guys are posting!

Right now I'm in Vancouver, BC, learning about a therapeutic modality called Somatic Experiencing, a new(ish) technique for treating and healing trauma. It's got great research results so far and a growing and enthusiastic community of practitioners. Today was the first day and it was easy to get swept along in the hope and thrill of new material. At the same time I'm still feeling overwhelmed at the prospect of working with a deeply traumatized population, but then actually, everyone has trauma...

I don't know. What kind of a therapist is Alissa? And how do I avoid beating myself up for not figuring it out 'fast enough'?

All of this is to say, bandwidth for poetry is scarce. But I'm gonna do it! Just watch me phone this in!

Vancouver seems nice.
but I don't actually know how fast 100km/hr is.
Nor do I understand what it means when
the traffic lights blink green.
Oh Canada,
you uncanny valley of countries--
I might be in the US
until someone says "about" or "now"
and the money is called dollars but
it's worth something different here
and it's almost more disorienting than
being somewhere totally
unambiguously
different.

2 comments:

  1. Tell me about it.
    ...What I found even creepier was being in a country with almost-same language and almost-same culture yet a weird alien sky with wrong constellations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, yes, tricky. The sky looks more or less the same here, it's true.

      Delete