Monday, January 18, 2016

Iterative Drawing

I stumbled upon a video last night by Sycra Yasin called Iterative Drawing: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ufz75UvHs

He meanders a bit but the short of it is that if you are analytical about your work, making one drawing of something isn't going to make you better at it. Only by analyzing a previous drawing and using that analysis to guide you through the next will activate both parts of your brain and lead to quick improvement. That idea really jives with me since I always end up drawing a dozen versions of something before I call it done. So I'm going to try to make a habit of doing these types of studies.

The point isn't to make the same drawing but to experiment a little, using ideas of what you liked from previous explorations. Good times.

4 comments:

  1. so I totally see his point, however, I think that method only works for some people. I know that I need to just create a crap ton of stuff before I begin to improve - and yes, critically looking at my previous stuff is important but not as important as creating more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watching the evolution is super neat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea. I did one set of iterations and found it very fun and liberating. Like I couldn't make a mistake and it was all about following fun and following.

    I am just starting to try to draw on the computer too, with some mixed results. I really actually like doing it but it is a very different quality so far to the stuff I do on paper. What program/programs do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still getting used to it too. Though this morning, I feel like I had a breakthrough in that I usually grab traditional materials in the morning, but I felt like fiddling with my iPad more.

      I use Procreate with the iPad Pro and the Apple Pencil these days :)

      Delete