Sunday, February 28, 2016

Okay so you are all going to be like "duh, Alissa, what else is new" but this was seriously an epiphany for me just now, okay

You guys!
I just realized.
Making a decision is a process
that takes
time.

Who in the hell
gave me the impression
that the space between
having a decision to make
and making the decision
needs to be tiny?

My internal narrative has been
“Aaaauuugh 
I don’t know what I’m doing with my life”
But I just noticed:
I am calm.
Oh. 
Yeah.
I am not lost.
I am not “drifting.”
I am busy making decisions.

To pause
and consider
is really,
truly,
just
fine.

5 comments:

  1. Here is the tangentially related article I mentioned to you recently: http://www.newsweek.com/science-making-decisions-68627

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the most valuable things I learned in design school was the phrase "let me get back to you". Works when you're talking to yourself :)

    (For what it's worth, the other was how to say yes to everything: "Yes, I can totally make that change for you... it'll cost another $1000, 3 weeks, etc" or "Yes, you can totally blow up that dynamite, you just need to get the approval of these 40 people in the next 7 hours...")

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you are in doubt, be still, and wait; when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage. So long as mists envelop you, be still; be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists-- as it surely will. Then act with courage. Ponca Chief White Eagle (1800's to 1914)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think making the decision is the final result of much living beforehand.

    ReplyDelete