Oh hello, dusty blog! Here is a draft of some song lyrics I wrote for some music my dad is composing. It occurred to me that I write more when I think people are watching, so I'm posting it. Maybe I'll start posting more again. Maybe not.
Will You Please Just Let Me Have My Despair For A Minute
My teacher says I try too hard, but
I need to try harder.
I can’t relax and try to float
I’m drowning in this water
Birds sing and soar to demonstrate
And cry ‘just be yourself!’
But they don’t seem to understand
Myself’s not good enough
You can fly, sure—you’ve got wings.
I’m standing in a trough.
These crazy people watching me
Expect me to take off
I guess when wings were handed out
I was just off somewhere
And now nobody seems to get
Why I’m not in the air
I don’t have any excuses
I’m smart, I’m strong, so true
But I’m really tired of hearing
“We all believe in you!”
My teacher reassures me, but
I don’t know on what grounds
I can’t relax into my “voice”
I don’t know how it sounds
I know it’s temporary
Life has up and down years
but before proclaiming my glory
please let me have these tears.
please let me have these tears.
-Alissa Mortenson Tyka
Instead of flying, you are digging. Love the title.
ReplyDeleteI love that interpretation! Thanks, Mom!
DeleteOK I've written and deleted three comments. I like your words and I read them over and over again. Lump in throat. Very relatable. Keep it up. :)
ReplyDelete