Friday, January 15, 2016

Talk to me, Shel

LISTEN TO THE MUSTN'TS
Listen to the MUSTN'TS, child,
      Listen to the DON'TS
      Listen to the SHOULDN'TS
The IMPOSSIBLES, the WONT'S
      Listen to the NEVER HAVES
Then listen close to me-
      Anything can happen, child,
ANYTHING can be
Oh, Shel
how I want to believe you meant this.
How my childhood self lay innocently down
the weight of truth on everything you wrote.
How I wish you had been there to ask last night
when I walked a short distance up the street
in a slightly sketchy part of town
alone, in my short skirt
and calf-covering boots,
when the “shouldn’ts” came flooding in
when my vulnerability arched up over my head like
a question mark or a hooded cobra
or a neon sign
I would have asked you,
white man from my parent’s generation,
do you think this is a bad idea?

Because don’t walk alone at night
Is the air I have breathed all my life
From my night professors with their classes of adult women
don’t go into the parking lot alone, walk with a buddy
To the internet commenters
she should have known better than to wear that
what did she expect was going to happen?
To my friends who walk out of their way
to accompany me to my car as a matter of course.
And so I’m not sure, Shel,
despite your empowering poetry,
that you would have backed your message up with a
go for it.
Because the cultural lesson is that
if a man is not protecting me
I am a treat offered up on a plate.

It’s very confusing
I was taught that America is in the “first world”
and that people in “third world” countries live in fear of violence.
I was also taught
to live in fear of violence.

I must conclude that men here
live in the first world
and I do not.
Shel, it is so disappointing to realize
that you wrote your reassurances from a land
I have never visited.




In this Pew poll from 2013, forty percent of Americans said that men and women are treated equally by society.

1 comment:

  1. Oof. All of this — though especially the concluding verse — resonates painfully.

    ReplyDelete