Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Awake with the fire

It's one of those days when you awaken with the fire of a conversation who's time has passed. The points that failed to appear that day, leaving doubts and misunderstanding in their absence, now spark to life with no concern for your rest. 

Still things that need to be said, but not now, now it's time to make breakfast and walk my daughter to the bus stop.

My daughter says something to me as I'm failing to multitask making breakfast and an inner monologue.

"Dad, look at my face"

"Sparkly," I reply with a distracted smile.

My wife worries that her life is meaningless, that taking care of our house and daughter, our very lives, is perceived as less important than working in an office and producing for a corporation. Her worries are family, future, personal achievement, health, the most important things, life itself.

My head is burning with things that won't matter in a few years. Technologies that change, business needs, staffing and process failures, all things that will only serve to make my brain scattered and distracted when I age. My head is aflame and torn from sleep and family because of things that don't actually matter. My daughter skips to the bus stop. This fire is not the most important thing in my life, but it burns over the thing that consumes most of my waking time.

My time is too precious to be burned up by this. 

Beware.

I have a fire in me today.


2 comments: