The sentiment expressed herein is
one I am ashamed of, and so I’m going to use some words to introduce it. The
depth of the pain and systemic betrayal of racial minorities and especially the
black community here in Seattle and the US has gotten a lot more viscerally
clear to me in the last couple of years. And I’m here looking at it and
understanding a tiny bit of how deep the wrongs are and realizing that I have
to do something about it if I am to continue to feel ok about myself as a human
being. I think this dawning awareness is making me a better person, and it has
deepened my compassion and understanding of the way the world works. And yet a
not-insignificant part of me resents the hell out of this growing awareness. I
don’t want to know because my life was very comfortable before, thank you very
much, and I had other things to care about that are still important to me and I
don’t wish to neglect them. But right now, for me, if I put anything into the
world that DOESN’T address this stuff (and most of my output is still in that
category of not addressing) I feel frustrated with myself, like I’m walking past
a starving child and trying to enjoy my ice cream. I don’t believe that it is
sustainable to focus all my time and attention on “the cause,” but there’s a
little voice in my head that says “if you were a person of color, there would
never be a moment you could put this burden down” and the unfairness of it all
overwhelms me and child me is like SHUT UP I DON’T WANT TO HEAR YOU and it’s
all very confusing.
I tried and failed to write about it all a bunch of times so
I had to make it a sonnet because there’s something about that form that pulls
words out of me, even though it probably isn’t the best form to express the
sentiment it contains.
I want to be a warrior! Things are bad
and I will swing my social-justice sword!
Except--I don’t feel violent. I feel sad.
And sorry, scared, uncertain, even bored
of hashing out what seems so obvious.
I am responsible. I feel this now.
But I don’t wish to be. If only just
for moments, I would love to set it down,
and write about the traffic going by,
and how the sunset made me feel, and how
my son explodes my heart with just a sigh.
I think all those things matter—it’s just, now,
I feel compelled by greater urgency.
So who I am is a dichotomy.
So who I am is a dichotomy.
This is how I feel about our environment going to hell. And still I drive my car. Travel by plane. Buy things wrapped in plastic. I feel a more subdued version of this about racial and gender inequality, but the enormity of our world breaking looms over the social issues (for me).
ReplyDelete