Mike’s been out of town for the last four days so I’ve been
parenting Zephyr alone, and it’s actually been a lovely and magical time for
most of it, but this evening was awful. After three and a half days of being
sweet, enthusiastic, helpful, and cooperative, my angelic and precocious
chatterbox became whiny and obnoxious. I have been low on sleep, and my
patience wore out, and his response to my attempt to set some boundaries was
desperate and clingy and I gave in when I shouldn’t have and ended up resenting
him after bedtime took an extra hour (which hasn’t happened since August;
lately bedtime has been like clockwork, smooth and fast, so this took me by
surprise.) Tonight I finally went in to his room at the end of many tears,
wiped his nose, snuggled him for a few minutes. I asked him, when I left this
time, to please let me go and not call me back. He wrapped his arms around my
arm and said quietly, tearfully, “but I really love you.” I said, “I really
love you too, more than anything!” And he said, “Mama, I’m a jewel for you. Am
I your jewel?” I didn’t even know he knew that word.
It’s hard to be
somebody’s everything.
Especially somebody who I am biologically programmed to
believe is the most wonderful person, whose needs seem simple and few and I am
a total heel to disregard them or prioritize my own.
I know not every day can be perfect
I’m still mad this one wasn’t
Grumpy, resentful, guilty, embarrassed (in a group house
there are always witnesses to one’s parenting errors.)
Mike gets home in a few minutes. My poem time is shot. Y’all,
this is what I got for you tonight. Wish I had something joyful instead.
/hugs/
ReplyDeleteYou know, it's times like this I really miss livejournal.
ReplyDelete<3