Sunday, January 17, 2016

The Problem With Immortality

This poem was about something, and then it became about something else so I went back to change the bits that didn’t make sense any more, and now I’m frustrated because I wanted to write something that was a certain thing and instead I have a thing that’s neither here nor there and basically collapsing under the weight of its own allegory and ugh.
Oh well.

The Problem With Immortality

I, PheoSphinx, firebreather and stormbringer
Succumb to inevitable tragedy.

When the sound of weather
Against city walls
Drowns out breaking glass and beating wings
And the fire in my eyes and heart spills over so
That even I am dizzy with the might of it -  
Ah! Sweet mystery.

In the hours before I scream down the sky
Dreams weigh heavy
Of forgotten futures
And never-pasts.
For I am among them but not of them.
In a crowd of thoughts that I recognize, but cannot reach;

Alas.
All journeys are the same; I am the same
Back and forth through the years
Seasons change and I roar back again

Enlightenment
Is solving the riddle of the abyss
And continuing.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting even when you weren't totally satisfied with what you made! You win!

    No apologies necessary. This is a very simple game: you post, you score 1. You don't post, you score 0. My advanced practitioner challenge for you is: put it up without talking about what you don't like about it. Are you brave enough? ;-)

    Me, I like the thoughts provoked by what you have composed. It never really occurred to me how isolating immortality would be. Unless everyone around you is not immortal, community becomes transitory and meaningless. I think I'd like to die when all my friends do. Never thought about that before...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can, and will now I've seen your comment! I do like to introduce things here with a few words, maybe I'll try and invite constructive criticism or say what I like instead.

    I've heard talk that if we can hang on 50-80 years, dying might become a choice and not an inevitability. But who wants to live forever?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days, I do want to...just to see what will happen.

      Delete